Saturday, February 2, 2013

NOSE Award & Several Translation Competitions and Awards

2013 NOSE prizes were awarded yesterday: Lev Rubinshtein won the jury prize for Знаки внимания (Signs of Attention), a collection of columns from various publications and various years. Aleksei Motorov won the readers’ prize for his autobiographical novel Юные годы медбрата Паровозова (Male Nurse Parovozov’s Young Years). I haven’t read any of the books on the NOSE short list (previous post)… though I do intend to get to Mikhail Gigolashvili’s Захват Московии (The Capture of Muscovy) someday soon. NOSE prizes are awarded by the Mikhail Prokhorov Foundation.

Meanwhile, Academia Rossica sent me a note about this year’s Rossica Young Translators Award. Full information is online here but here are key details... “Young” means you must be 24 or under on the deadline for entries, which is March 10, 2013. The three excerpts from which to choose are by Eduard Limonov, Boris Akunin, and Marina Stepnova. Chalk one up for variety! Judges are Oliver Ready, Amanda Love Darragh, and Daniel M. Jaffe. Oh, and the prize is £500.

Finally, the Institute of Translation announced that it is accepting entries for the next Read Russia translation prize, which will be awarded in 2014. Entries—this means books (translations) published by non-Russian publishers during 2012 and 2013—will be accepted throughout 2013. At the moment, there’s only information available in Russian (here) but the four categories for awards haven’t changed from last year: I listed 2012’s winners in a previous post. The Institute is also taking proposals for translation grants. There’s information online in Russian and in English. The deadline of March 31, 2013, may be extended through May 2013.

Update on the 2013Translation List. Several of you sent information on translations coming out in 2013. I have duly added them, so consider the list refreshed. I’m happy to add more: all genres are welcome to participate!

Up Next: Mikhail Butov’s Freedom, where I found a spider particularly endearing. And, at some future juncture, Elena Katishonok’s Once There Lived an Old Man and His Wife, which I still don’t like. At all… though I’m reading it (albeit at a plodding pace) with an almost morbid fascination because I’m gaining a better understanding of what I don’t like in a novel. It’s a very interesting personal case study, particularly because I do see what other readers like about the book. Also: Grigorii Danilevskii’s Princess Tarakanova, a historical novel I picked up for some easy/easier reading on sleepy weeknights.

Disclosures: The usual. I collaborate with the Read Russia program, including the Institute of Translation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment