Monday, October 3, 2011

2011 Yasnaya Polyana Awards

Winners of the Yasnaya Polyana Awards were announced today. Fazil’ Iskander received the “Contemporary Classic” prize for his three-volume Сандро из Чегема (Sandro of Chegem). Sandro of Chegem was a popular book among NOS-1973’s online voters earlier this year. Perhaps this is the sign I need to finally buy and read Sandro after enjoying some of Iskander’s Chik stories earlier this year (previous post).

Elena Katishonok won the “XXI Century” prize for Жили-были старик со старухой (Once There Lived an Old Man and His Wife) (excerpt); Katishonok’s novel was a 2009 Russian Booker finalist.

At least some of Sandro of Chegem is available in translation, as are Iskander’s Chik stories. A description on Amazon.com says Katishonok’s book is a family saga about Russian Orthodox Old Believers set in the first half of the twentieth century.

Fazil' Iskander on Amazon

Жили-были старик со старухой on Amazon

(I am an Amazon associate and receive a small percentage of purchases that readers make after clicking through my links.)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lizok - I'm happy to have found your blog (and must admit I'm one of the many who found it through a "Russian Booker Prize" search). I wasn't aware Iskander won the award . . . Sandro of Chegem is a fantastic book but the only one of his that I've read. Time to look for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, Emily! I'm glad you found the blog, and I'm glad to hear your thoughts on Sandro of Chegem. I just bought it--well 798 pages of selected chapters--and hope to read some of it this winter. I read a few of Iskander's Chik stories and enjoyed them very much so would definitely recommend them.

    Lisa-Lizok

    ReplyDelete